Security Software Buyer’s Guide July 2012
AVG Internet Security 2012
AVG (formerly Grisoft) doesn’t think you should have to constantly look over your shoulder when browsing the Web. With AVG Internet Security 2012, you get peace of mind and a whole lot more.
• AVG Enhanced Firewall and AVG Identity Protection keep you safe when banking and shopping online
• Integrated antivirus, anti-malware, and antispyware to keep your PC clean and running in tip-top shape
• Speeds up your online video viewing
• Only scans your PC when the computer is idle to avoid slowing down your system
• Keeps itself up-to-date automatically, so you can set it and forget it
ESET Smart Security 5
ESET’s Smart Security 5 utilizes an exclusive heuristics scanning technology as the foundation of the software.
• Prevents attacks and infections with ThreatSense technology, which identifies and deals with unknown types of malware before you even know they’re there
• Runs in the background, so you can enjoy using your computer without experiencing any slowdown
• Takes a minimalistic approach to alerts; it’ll only bother you for important stuff
• Updates automatically, so your PC stays protected at all times
G Data AntiVirus 2012
Bochum Germany-based G Data has been in the business of protecting computers since 1985, and the firm’s Antivirus 2012 suite is its most effective software yet.
• Self-learning fingerprinting and whitelisting capabilities speed scans and free up additional memory
• Idle scan option initiates scans when you’re away from the PC, so you don’t experience any resource constraints
• Feature optimized behavior blocking to detect and eliminate unknown malware types
• Image Backup module lets you back up and restore your PC
• Enhanced Outlook plugin can detect and block viruses and spam in your email inbox
Iolo System Shield AntiVirus & AntiSpyware
If you think that security software often gets in the way while you’re trying to get work done, then Iolo’s performance- focused approach should impress you.
• Secures your PC against more than 2.1 million threats, including viruses, spyware, worms, Trojans, rootkits, bots, keyloggers, adware, tracking software, polymorphic attacks, password theft, identity theft, and more
• Discovers and eliminates infections and blocks future attacks from occurring
• Sentient Technology uses artificial intelligence heuristics to find malware before it causes irreparable damage to your PC, identity, or sensitive data
Kaspersky Small Office Security
Small and home office users ask a lot of their PCs and as a result, they need security software that takes their unique needs into account.
• Includes Internet threat protection, multiple protection tools for securing your sensitive digital data
• Protects your system from both known and many unknown Web-based threats
• The control panel on one PC can be used to manage the security settings for all your PCs and servers
• Employees can be given access to a Web-Access Management portal.
• Includes scheduled and automatic backup, encrypted file storage, and PC clean-up utilities
LoJack For Laptops Premium
Absolute Software’s LoJack is all about making sure your lost or stolen laptop finds its way back to you.
• Your laptop continually connects with the LoJack monitoring center, securely and in the background
• If your laptop is lost or stolen, the LoJack Recovery Team uses geolocation technologies to track it down
• Notifies local law enforcement about where your property can be found
• Lets you remotely lock your laptop against unauthorized access or remotely wipe sensitive data, photos, financial information, stored passwords, and more
• LoJack Service Guarantee provides up to $1,000 if LoJack can’t recover your PC or remotely delete data
McAfee Total Protection 2012
With a name like Total Protection, you know McAfee’s offering is going be comprehensive. This software suite includes all the malware-protections found in McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2012, and McAfee Internet Security 2012, as well as a few extras.
• Includes up to 2GB of online backup space
• McAfee Home Network Defense technology blocks access to your sensitive data even if data thieves are using the same Wi-Fi network
• Features improved storage encryption and an enhanced anti-phishing module.
• Lets you share links on social networks safely and securely, and the built-in URL (uniform resource locator) shortener lets you tweet concise links that won’t lead to malware or phishing sites
Panda Global Protection 2012
If you’re looking for an all-in-one security suite, look no further than Panda Global Protection 2012.
• Uses Panda cloud technology to secure your PC without interrupting your work
• Keeps your data secure and lets you browse the Web without fear of infections, spyware, rootkits, hackers, fraud, identity theft, and cybercriminals
• Improved virus protection and enhanced firewall
• USB Vaccine secures your portable drives, and a virtual keyboard lets you enter for passwords securely
• Remote PC access, file shredding, encryption, a home network manager, and expanded parental control
• Panda SafeCD lets you scrub malware from your PC even if you can’t boot into Windows
PC Tools Internet Security
PC Tools Internet Security is a full-featured suite designed to protect your PC in everything for which you use it.
• Spyware Doctor keeps you safe from tracking software and browser hijackers
• Antivirus component blocks malware, hackers, and data-stealing utilities
• An Internet security component protects your PC from phishing scams, emails that contain false offers or credit card scams, hackers trying to gain access to your PC, and malicious programs that distribute your passwords and private identity data to cybercriminals
• Also detects and removes difficult-to-find rootkits and other threats hiding in unlikely places on your PC
Symantec Norton Tablet Security
You love your tablet, and as you use apps and the Web more and more, the odds increase that you’ll be exposed to a bevy of Web-borne malware. Put a padlock on your tablet with Symantec’s Norton Tablet Security.
• Installs on your Android-based tablet and lets you recover and remotely lock a lost or stolen device
• Displays personalized messages to inform whoever finds your tablet how best to return it to you.
• Can take a quick photo of anyone using your tablet (for those tablets equipped with a webcam)
• Blocks phishing sites, secures your data when you’re on an open Wi-Fi network, and automatically scans apps and app updates
Trend Micro Titanium For Small Business
When it comes to securing the PCs you use for your small business, any old security software just won’t do.
• Eliminates viruses and other online threats before they wreak havoc on your system and network
• Up to 100GB of secure cloud storage for your sensitive business documents
• Protection from infected links on social networks
• Security for your tablet and smartphone
• Secure Erase permanently deletes files
• Remotely lock files in the event of a stolen laptop or tablet, and more
• Protect up to ten Windows or Mac devices
Webroot Secure Anywhere Essentials
Secure your computing experience without sacrificing performance or taking out a second mortgage: Check out Webroot’s Secure Anywhere Essentials.
• Comes with three user licenses
• Uses Webroot’s cloud-based technology to ensure that you’re protected the moment a threat is discovered, anywhere in the world
• Scan times as brisk as two minutes
• Password, credit card, and confidential file encryption
• Blocks viruses, Trojans, spyware, rootkits, and other malware
• Up to 30GB of cloud-based storage (10GB per user) for storing sensitive documents and media