How to Become a Poker Master
There is a very big difference between being able to play poker and being good at it – with the latter being something that a lot of us can only hope to achieve. The landscape can be changed a little bit however thanks to the smartphone in your pocket and the tablet in front of you.
We decided that it was t ime to be more like the sta r-studded crew of Ocean’s Eleven and become card table masters, and if you’re wi lling to do the legwork in the app marketplace there are some solutions that can help you brush up on the various hands, but also start to put together a strategy and the means to calculate the chances of winning an individual game. You can also pick up tips on betting and the basic rules of the game, so you can at least try be a genuine threat at the table the next time you sit down with friends rather than a chip dispenser. This is how we got on …
- Poker No-Limit Trainer Sometimes it can be difficult just getting your head around the cards on the table and what you should do with them. This app is designed to help us with decision-making.
- Starting better The app gives you two cards, a fictional set of players, and three options based on these factors. Over time you start to pick up patterns and choose to fold or call correctly.
- Reading the table Repeating this exercise definitely started to make something stick in our brains, and we began to make the right calls without even needing to see the on-screen options.
- A better understanding Having gained confidence we thought it best to improve our overall knowledge, so we turned to the Texas Poker Hands Tools app, which has an entire PokerPedia.
- Playing percentages This app also includes a hand simulator. Enter the cards on the table, including your own, and find out your percentage chance of winning certain hands. You begin to understand the strength of different cards.
- Confidence Suddenly we find ourselves feeling a lot more confident when it comes to making sense of the cards dealt to us. Now it’s time to start thinking about creating a strategy to help maximise this new-found assurance and hustle for those chips.